- Frank R.M.
- Lee S.
- Bush-Joseph C.A.
- Kelly B.T.
- Salata M.J.
- Nho S.J.
Shoelace Complete Capsular Closure/Plication
|Femoroacetabular impingement||Adhesive capsulitis|
|Borderline developmental dysplasia of the hip||Joint contracture|
|Developmental dysplasia of the hip|
|Interportal capsular cut||Poor visualization|
|Avoid aggressive capsulotomy||T-capsulotomy|
|Optimum visualization outside capsule||Too aggressive capsulotomy|
|Viewing from the anterolateral portal and working through the midanterior portal and proximal midanterior portal||Do not pass the suture through the straight head of the rectus femoris|
|Immediate coagulation using a radiofrequency probe||Hold one limb of the suture when pulling the other to prevent the suture from coming out|
|Begin closure from the medial base to the lateral side||Secure knot tying|
|Preserve the reflected head of the rectus femoris||Postoperative rehabilitation needed|
|• Do not extend the hip and avoid external rotation as they might stress the closure site|
- Routine complete capsular closure during hip arthroscopy.Arthrosc Tech. 2013; 2: e89-e94
- Improved outcomes after hip arthroscopic surgery in patients undergoing T-capsulotomy with complete repair versus partial repair for femoroacetabular impingement: A comparative matched-pair analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2634-2642
- Arthroscopic capsular plication and labral preservation in borderline hip dysplasia: Two-year clinical outcomes of a surgical approach to a challenging problem.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 2591-2598
- Outcomes after arthroscopic treatment of femoroacetabular impingement for patients with borderline hip dysplasia.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1017-1023
- Arthroscopic technique of capsular plication for the treatment of hip instability.Arthrosc Tech. 2015; 4: e163-e167
- Endoscopic shelf acetabuloplasty combined with labral repair, cam osteochondroplasty, and capsular plication for treating developmental hip dysplasia.Arthrosc Tech. 2014; 3: e185-e191
- Clinical and radiographic predictors for worsened clinical outcomes after hip arthroscopic labral preservation and capsular closure in developmental dysplasia of the hip.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 28-38
- Wound closure of leg fasciotomy: Comparison of vacuum-assisted closure versus shoelace technique. A randomised study.Injury. 2014; 45: 890-893
- Shoelace technique plus vacuum-assisted closure in leg fasciotomy.ANZ J Surg. 2014; 84: 795
- Arthroscopic management of dysplastic hip deformities: Predictors of success and failures with comparison to an arthroscopic FAI cohort.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 44: 447-453
- Arthroscopic capsular repair for symptomatic hip instability after previous hip arthroscopic surgery.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 39-45
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: S.U. receives consultancy fees from BioMed, DePuy Synthes, and Smith & Nephew; and grants/grants pending from BioMet, Stryker, Smith & Nephew, and Dai-Ichi Sankyo. C.P.G. receives research support from Biomet.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy